Mandatory procedures for entry into the Azores Autonomous Region
1.1 All passengers disembarking at the airports on the islands of Santa Maria, São Miguel, Terceira, Pico and Faial from airports located in areas considered by the World Health Organization as areas of active community transmission or with active transmission chains of the SARS-CoV-2 virus shall comply, alternatively, with one of the following procedures:
- a) Present proof, on paper, of a document issued by a national or international laboratory, which certifies that a screening test for SARS-CoV-2, performed by the RT-PCR methodology, was performed within 72 hours before the departure of the flight from the airport of origin, with the identification of the passenger, the laboratory where the test was performed, the date of the test and the NEGATIVE result.
In this case, and if the stay is prolonged for seven days or more, he/she should, on the 6th day after the date of the SARS-CoV-2 screening test, contact the health authority of the municipality where he/she resides or is staying, in order to have a new screening test for SARS-CoV-2 conducted by the local health authority, whose result will be communicated to him/her; or
- b) Perform, with the collection of biological samples upon arrival, a screening test for SARS-CoV-2, to be promoted by the health authority, and should remain in prophylactic isolation in their home or place where they are staying, until the result is communicated to them.
In this case, and if the stay is prolonged for seven days or more, he/she must, on the 6th day from the date when the screening test for SARS-CoV-2 was carried out, contact the health authority of the municipality where he/she resides or is staying, in order to have a new screening test for SARS-CoV-2 carried out by the local health authority, the result of which will be communicated to him/her; or
- c) Return to their original destination or travel to any destination outside the Region, complying, until the time of the flight, with prophylactic isolation in a hotel indicated for this purpose.
1.2. all passengers must comply with the mask-wearing, physical distancing and respiratory etiquette rules laid down by the regional health authority
1.3 In cases where the SARS-CoV-2 virus test result is POSITIVE, the local health authority, within the scope of its competence, shall determine the procedures to be followed.
1.4 If the passenger refuses to comply with all the procedures foreseen in paragraph 1.1, the local health authority, within the scope of its competencies, may order the implementation of mandatory quarantine for the period of time necessary to obtain the results of a screening test for the SARS-CoV-2 virus or, if the passenger does not agree to do so, for the period of time necessary to complete 14 days since his arrival in the Region, in a hotel defined for this purpose, the costs of which will be charged to the passenger who does so.
1.5 In cases where compulsory quarantine is ordered by the health authority, the quarantine must, within 24 hours, be submitted for judicial validation before the competent court.
1.6. While awaiting the results of the SARS-CoV-2 screening test and in cases of mandatory quarantine, subject to compliance with the guidelines determined by the health authority for the prevention of contagion, those subject to such quarantine shall be able to enjoy the same services that are available to a guest under normal circumstances, except for those that may undermine or weaken the guidelines determined.
1.7 Failure by the passenger to comply with prophylactic isolation under the terms and within the period mentioned, as well as failure to comply with mandatory quarantine, in cases where it is determined, implies the immediate filing of a complaint by the health authority of the municipality where he resides or is staying, for the crime of disobedience.
1.8. Inter-island passenger travel by air or sea does not require prior authorization from the Regional Health Authority, without prejudice to the rules established for passengers coming from outside the Region, namely:
- (a) passengers shall notify the health authority of this intention on arrival by completing a declaration to that effect;
- b) Passengers who undergo a SARS-CoV-2 screening test upon arrival in the Region, if their final destination is another island, shall remain in prophylactic isolation in the place where they are staying or in a hotel room indicated for such purpose, until the NEGATIVE result is communicated to them.
Only after this will they be able to continue their journey.
- (c) Passengers with a previous NEGATIVE SARS-CoV-2 screening test may travel to another island if their final destination is another island;d) The referred passengers, upon arrival at the island of final destination, should contact the county health authority on the 6th day for a SARS-CoV-2 screening test;
1.9 Passengers who, on the date these measures come into force, are in voluntary quarantine may choose whether to continue it under the terms established hereinabove, or to terminate it by undergoing a SARS-CoV-2 screening test and obtaining a NEGATIVE result; in this case, and for the remaining period until 14 days have elapsed since the beginning of the voluntary quarantine, they will continue to be obliged to contact the local health authority on the 6th day to undergo a SARS-CoV-2 screening test.
Bookings for inter-island connecting flights
If traveling inter-island and beginning travel outside the Azores Archipelago (except Madeira), you must indicate at the time of booking if you will be tested for Covid-19 at origin or if you will be tested upon arrival at your destination.
- If you have tested Covid-19 at origin, you may make your reservation for SATA Air Açores flights with a minimum connection time of 3 hours or more.
- If the test is carried out upon arrival, you may make your reservation for SATA Air Açores flights with a minimum connection time of 16 hours or more.
In case your connection time is shorter than mentioned, please adjust your reservation through our Contact Center by email: email@example.com or by phone 707 22 7282.